Sunday, October 7, 2007

Marketing...

Sam's brand charcoal briquettes (or charcoal biscuits, as I like to say) are 60% larger than other briquettes. The package proudly proclaims this as if it's the greatest thing since man first figured out how to use lighter fluid. (We still haven't learned how to use it safely, but who needs eyebrows anyway?) When I see the label I'm instantly attracted. First of all, bigger is almost always better. Secondly, they must be longer lasting, right? That way I can have hot coals for two full hours to cook my steak for 15 mintues. But here's the real hook: If they put it on the package in big bold letters, it must be a valuable feature, right? If larger briquettes weren't better, they wouldn't plaster the fact all over the package, right? Wrong. I am pretty much convinced that marketers have learned how people think with regard to labels and advertising.

For example, I believe that larger charcoal briquettes are not advantageous to the average griller. They have less surface area per weight, and since the burning happens at the surface, this means they produce less heat per weight. Therefore, for a certain amount of cooking heat, I burn more charcoal than with another brand. But it's OK... Wal-Mart is happy to sell me some more when I run out. Also, if this was really a revolutionary advance in grilling technology, I would expect Kingsford or one of the other industry leaders to be on top of it. Not to mention that larger briquettes require less machine activity per unit weight, so they're probably cheaper to make. The moral of the story is that 60% larger briquettes are better... better for Sam Waldron... but not better for my grilling. But Sam knows what P.T. Barnum knew: you'll never go broke betting on gullible consumers. If you list a feature in big yellow letters on the front of the package, John Q. Public will assume that it's better. He won't wonder about surface area-to-weight ratios. He'll think it's a great deal because it's cheaper than Kingsford and the briquettes are 60% larger to boot. What a bargain.

But the real question is this: Knowing all the above, why do I usually make a special trip to Wal-Mart for Sam's brand charcoal briquettes? Raise a glass to P.T. Barnum.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dual Overhead Cams, baby!