Friday, November 30, 2007

Yes, I'm a beer snob...


This is not a quality picture, but it illustrates this entry. Looks like a picture of someone enjoying a bottle of beer (Michelob) at a restaurant, right? Actually the young man in the picture is the boyfriend, who was apparently meeting the girl's parents for the first time. He has a pint glass of something. The Michelob belongs to Dad. I assume the parents (back to the camera) are from out of town. Seems like a nice, ordinary family scene. What's wrong with the picture?
...
The restaurant is Lazlo's, home to some of the best micro-brewed beers in America (my humble opinion). I was shocked to see someone order a non-Empyrean beer at Lazlo's. I was even more shocked to see two of his companions - Mom and daughter, who were drinking Miller Lite and Bud Light respectively. Actually I was somewhat appalled just to overhear a Lazlo's server listing off those beers as choices. Kind of like hearing Jonathan announce a wet T-shirt contest after church to raise funds for missionaries.
...
But I suppose it's a free country. They may not be allowed to smoke, but it's not illegal to choose mediocre (I'm being generous) beer. At least that leaves more good beer for the rest of us.
...
Cheers.

2 comments:

Erik said...

It seems to me that not only are you a beer snob, but also a beer spy! How much did Lazlo's pay you (in various amounts of "good" beer, no doubt) to put this one up?

Mike M. said...

You must have gotten that "taste" from drinking warm beer as a young man after being in the woods for a long time!